Old White House Press Room

Reporters watch LBJ on televisions in the old Press Room in 1968 (Corbis)

Press Room

Until 1969, the Press Corps Offices space was occupied by the White House Gymnasium and Flower Shop. Prior to that, the White House press corps occupied a room in the northwest corner of the West Wing.

More Images

The old Press Room (northwest corner of the West Wing) during the 1960 visit of Charles De Gaulle (Life)

The press reacts to news of Ike's stroke in 1957 (in the old Press Room northwest corner of the West Wing) (Life)

Senator Blair Moody visits with the press in 1951 (in the old Press Room northwest corner of the West Wing) (Life)

Old Press Room in 1945 (in the northwest corner of the West Wing) (Life)

Old Press Room in 1945 (in the northwest corner of the West Wing);
reporters scramble to call in their stories announcing the surrender of Japan (NARA)

Old Press Room in 1941 (in the northwest corner of the West Wing);
reporters call in stories on the attack on Pearl Harbor (Life)

"New" press offices in 1929 (after the 1929 Christmas eve fire), just off the Lobby in the pre-FDR West Wing (Library of Congress)

Calvin Coolidge with members of the White House Photographers Association in 1923 (Library of Congress)